Blog

Are Cleaning Methods Harming Pets?

By 05 November, 2015 No Comments

You can tell a lot about people’s character by the way they care for animals, children and the elderly.

This conversation came about when I was introduced to a lady who has invented an amazing cat-boarding concept. Her antibacterial housing design features a unique airflow ventilation system with easy to clean surfaces and is made from environmentally friendly materials (the safe cleaning is how we were introduced). Have a look at the Ethipet website  www.ethipet.com

The purpose behind her invention came from a great deal of research into the well-being of cats in veterinary clinics and boarding. Did you know that animals in boarding can have serious health issues as a result of negligent cleaning methods?

Chemical burnt paws, chemical burnt noses, matted fur and even worse.

The problem of cleaning with bleach and harsh chemicals is that if they’re not rinsed off thoroughly they can cause burns. If significant amount ingested, they can be toxic to animals. I’ve been told by animal care experts that even when the floors are dry, if they haven’t been rinsed thoroughly, the residue is enough to affect some sensitive animals. And sometimes, the changeover from one animal leaving and another being rehoused leaves very little time for it to be cleaned efficiently.

The following are just a couple of articles I have read highlighting the problem of negligent cleaning with chemicals:

Dog burned by cleaning agent  www.northjersey.com/community-news/pets/dogs-burned-by-cleaning-agent-1.1081201?page=all

(Warning, disturbing photos) Dogs’ scrotums burned at animal shelter www.miaminewtimes.com/news/dogs-scrotums-burned-at-animal-shelter-by-cleaning-chemicals-former-employee-says-7836832

The result of using bleach or other harsh chemicals can also be a health hazard to the person cleaning or sanitising with it. I’m sure you can relate to what I’m saying when I mention the word “fumes”. You can only imagine how much worse it can be for animals as they have a much more delicate sense of smell than we do. If the area is not well ventilated the smell of bleach can linger for hours.

We also know animals can’t help themselves. Their curiosity gets the better of them. They like to lick everything in sight. They also like to roll around leaving their scent on all things new to them. Bleach or chemical residue can harm them if it has not been rinsed off completely. It’s even worse if their housing is left damp and they lick their wet fur and paws.

I found this article about why bleach is not the best choice www.petproclean.com/blog/posts/2015/02/12/bleach-is-not-the-best-choice

Bleach until now has been the preferred method for a long time. Thankfully, today there are safer ways to clean boarding kennels and animal housing.

My information has come from dog breeders and animal carers asking for a safer way to clean. Veterinary clinics and dog breeders around the world are leading the way in safer cleaning and sanitising using Tersano lotus® PRO Stabilised Aqueous Ozone.

As they say, animals have no voice, have no choice. It’s up to us to take responsibility when caring for animals and pets.

I welcome your stories